Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Policy
Through our investment, asset and property management, development and corporate activities Blueberry & Co look to minimise the environmental impact of our business. We are committed to the principles of continuous improvement in managing environmental issues, including the reduction of pollution and emissions, the proper management and monitoring of waste, and compliance with environmental legislation and codes of practice.
Environmental and sustainable matters are an integral element of Blueberry & Co’s assessment of the suitability of new properties that the group looks to acquire and fund. Blueberry & Co undertakes a detailed assessment of each location, looking at the sustainable nature of a site. As climate change risk increases we are reviewing our approach to environmental due diligence, with a view to enhance our assessment for new properties, an important element of our process is to undertake detailed environmental and building surveys which include a detailed assessment of the environmental risk for each investment, including flooding, to ensure the risk is avoided or appropriate prevention measures are developed.
We are committed to creating great residential, commercial and holiday lets by focusing on the future needs of our occupiers and thereby ensuring we are creating long term sustainable buildings. Our asset and property management objective is to invest in a portfolio of properties with enduring occupier appeal, which provide opportunities to improve both rental values and the security and longevity of income.
We are continuing to update our property portfolio to integrate a range of sustainable features including solar PVs, high-efficiency insulation, double glazing and electric vehicle recharge points to name a few.
We have obtained EPC ratings across the whole portfolio and will undertake improvement works where required to ensure full compliance with the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards that will apply from 2023. We aim to ensure our whole portfolio has an EPC rating of “A-C”
Responsible investment is a key priority for Blueberry & Co. Blueberry & Co believes that responsible ownership and business success go hand in hand and, as such, Blueberry & Co has embedded consideration of ESG factors throughout all stages of its involvement in an investment. Blueberry & Co is fundamentally committed to building long-term, sustainable businesses, which will grow, provide employment and generate economic benefit in an environmentally and socially responsible manner. Responsible investment, and subsequently responsible ownership, require proper analysis, judgement and mitigation of risk. Blueberry & Co aims to invest in companies that take a responsible approach towards the environment, society and corporate governance.
Tenant wellbeing is a huge consideration for Blueberry & Co and we aim to improve building standards both residential and commercial and provide access to start-up businesses providing local employment as well as safe, comfortable and in demand housing for young families and local people.
Blueberry & Co look to improve buildings in need of attention to help raise the buildings quality and use, enabling great places for the community to use such as a gym, office and holiday let in the town centre.
Health and Safety is at the forefront of all developments Blueberry & Co work on. Before starting all projects have a Health and Safety document drawn up and a risk assessment completed. All contractors on site are asked to provide their insurances and qualification info before commencing work. Surveys are completed to ensure asbestos and harmful products are removed from any properties we work on.
The aim is for our workforce to be truly representative of all sections of society and our customers, and for each employee to feel respected and able to give their best. To create a working environment free of bullying, harassment, victimisation and unlawful discrimination, promoting dignity and respect for all, and where individual differences and the contributions of all staff are recognised and valued. Blueberry & Co aim to review employment practices and procedures when necessary to ensure fairness, and also update them and the policy to take account of changes in the law.
Blueberry & Co’s ESG Principles are set out below and are regularly reviewed.
Blueberry & Co seeks to:
- Always comply with both the letter and the spirit of the law, wherever it applies
- Ensure that it takes a responsible approach to investing throughout its investment cycle and recognises the potential impact of businesses on the environment, workers, communities and society, as well as the potential impact of climate change on the business itself and businesses we invest in
- Ensure that we always respect human rights and ensure no exploitation of child labour
- Ensure there is no bribery or corruption in any of our dealings
- Act with integrity at all times in all our dealings
- Always be non-discriminatory (whether on grounds of gender, race or disability), and adopt equality and diversity in our employment practices
- Act responsibly with respect to the environment, aiming for a sustainable approach to the use of resources, avoiding irresponsible disposal of hazardous products and unnecessary waste
- Ensure that our management structures and policies reflect the need for transparency, accountability and equality in the management of our businesses
- Comply with and inform industry standard ESG guidelines and best practices, and actively manage ESG considerations and risks effectively.
- Incorporate ESG issues into our investment analysis and decision making processes
- Be active owners and incorporate ESG issues into our ownership policies and practices
- Seek appropriate disclosure on ESG issues by the entities in which we invest
- Report on our activities and progress towards implementing the Principles. We have incorporated these Principles into our business processes and practices
Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Policy